Goodbye Spring and Spring Reading Thing
We have welcomed summer with a bang. Temperatures are way above normal, in the high 80’s to low 90’s Fahrenheit. With summer in full swing, we say goodbye to spring and the Spring Reading Thing.
Now it’s time to see how I did. On my original list were:
· Captivating by John and Stasi Eldredge
· The Joyful Homeschooler by Mary Hood
· The Life You've Always Wanted by John Ortberg
· Love and Logic Magic for Early Childhood by Jim Fay & Charles Fay
· The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
· Twelve extraordinary women : how God shaped women of the Bible and what He wants to do with you by John MacArthur
· Everybody's normal till you get to know them by John Ortberg
· Looking for God by Nancy Ortberg
Those that are bold are the books that I read. I borrowed Love and Logic Magic from the library and didn’t get a chance to read it before it was due back. I’m afraid that The Great Gatsby fell victim to reading James and the Giant Peach with my children. John Ortberg is one of my favorite authors right now and I’ve read many of his books besides Everybody’s Normal Till You Get to Know Them. Looking for God by Nancy Ortberg was forgotten, hopefully not for long.
I did read a few books that never made it on the list. They were:
· God is Closer Than You Think by John Ortberg
· Faith and Doubt by John Ortberg
· The Believer’s Spiritual Warfare by Theodore H. Epp
· The Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey
· Fathered By God by John Eldredge
· Streams In The Desert by L.B. Cowman (daily devotional)
My favorite book from the original list was Captivating by John and Stasi Eldredge. This book has changed me for the better. A paragraph from the back of the book describes the change better than I can. “The message of Captivating is this: Your heart matters more than anything else in all creation. The desires you had as a little girl and the longings you still feel as a woman – they are telling you of the life God created you to live. He offers to come now as the Hero of your story, to rescue your heart and release you to live as a fully alive and feminine woman. A woman who is truly captivating.”
Thanks for hosting the Spring Reading Thing Katrina. I will see you again in the fall for the Fall Reading Thing. Until then, sip some lemonade and enjoy the summer with a good book.