Oh the Creatures

I have good intentions. I want to follow the example of Jesus and awake early to pray.

And rising very early in the morning, while it was still dark, he departed and went out to a desolate place, and there he prayed. ~Mark 1:35 (ESV)

Sometimes, creatures get in the way of these intentions.  On this particular morning I went to sit in my usual spot to read my bible and spend time with God.  However, I was distracted by these guys.


Creatures big and small had invaded the dining room table.  Some even using my bible to rest upon.


This mom's heart was warmed by all the scenes I could see, set-up by 8 and 12 year-old hands.  I also began to see many of the excuses I make for not sitting alone with God in the morning to read His word and pray.

I have a busy day with the kids.  No time to pray.

I have meetings and coffee dates scheduled today.  
I need to get the laundry/dishes done before I go.

There are all these distractions and things to do.

I just need 30 minutes more sleep.


I can get caught in the cycle of busyness.  Doing all the things.  When really, I need to be like the little seal.  Resting on (and in) the word of God.  

Comments