Five Minute Friday : Place

place [pleys]  noun
  :a particular portion of space, whether of definite or indefinite extent.
  :space in general



This is the place where I put my clothes at the end of the day.  I started this habit when I had my first child.  I quickly realized that having extra clothing close at hand to keep me warm during those late night/early morning feedings was essential.  Through the years this has served me well during all sorts of late night adventures to feed babies, change diapers, soothe a toddler, tame an imagined monster, and hold a sick girl's hair back.  There is nothing colder than sitting with your child on a cold tile floor wearing shorts.

I'm in a different season now.  My youngest is 8 and aside from the occasional call for mom, the kids don't need me as much in the wee hours of the morning.  So now, I'm trying to put my clothes in their proper 'away' place at the end of the day.  It seems an easy task to accomplish.  After all, that's what I did before children 18 years ago.  However, this habit I formed is a hard one to break!

Made me think about other habits I may have formed.  Snacking at night when the children go to bed.  Drinking cream with a little bit of coffee. (Ok, I'm not going to change this anytime soon.)  Letting the junk mail pile up.  Sleeping in.  Procrastination and all the others.

If I'm not mindful, these habits, as silly or small as they seem can become the open door to something bigger.

Search me, O God, and know my heart!
    Try me and know my thoughts! ~Psalm 139:23
 

Heavenly Father, Search me and put your finger on the habits that I have formed that are not pleasing to you.  I do not want to share your place in my heart with anything else.  Change me so I can better reflect you.

Five Minute Friday is a wild and wonderful flash mob of words. Five minutes on one prompt. No over-thinking or editing. Please visit Kate Motaung to link up with Five Minute Friday .     

Comments

  1. I enjoyed reading your post... here today. I looked up the word - place - too for its meaning - but the Lord took me a different direction. I could truly relate (even feeling convicted!) to what you've shared today. Thank you. Your neighbor at fmf!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting take on the word place! I could picture all your nights with your little ones. Those years fly away so fast, so enjoy the kids while they're in your home. We have an empty nest now. Your story was such a good reminder not to let anything else take the place of the Lord in our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading your post! I am entering into a new season with my youngest. She's almost 16, and it seems overnight she has become a young lady with goals and an amazing future ahead of her. She is on the verge of transitioning out of my house in a couple years, and on to her own path. So there I can relate to having more time to ponder my own habits, activities, etc. I love your "take" on the prompt this week! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I always enjoy hearing from you. ~Kim