A Birthday Celebration

A few weeks ago I asked my (then) eight year old daughter what kind of cake she wanted for her birthday.  Her response, "A dirt cake with worms."

That is not at all what I expected (or wanted) to hear.  But, a mom must honor the birthday wishes of her only daughter.  With a twist.

I didn't want to make a simple dirt cake with worms so I went on the World Wide Web and Pinterest and searched for dirt cake ideas.  What came up in the search was a delightful mix of many different ways to serve dirt cake.  One of which was in a flower pot with a fake flower in the middle.  I loved the flower pot idea, but wanted the flowers to be mostly edible.  Then I came across this idea.  It was a great way to get everyone involved in the making of the cake.  Sadly, I forgot to take photos of the young bakers at work, but we had a good time making flowers and crushing Oreo cookies.

Here is the result.
One website mentioned serving with a trowel.  How could I resist?

Marshmallow/Skittle flowers.

I chose Skittles because of the color options.

Add a few gummy worms and you have a "dirt cake with worms".

Look at that smiling face.

And this one.

Photobomb!  Brothers!

She made her wish.

Digging in!

It really looks like dirt and the worms are grossing me out!

Confetti Party!

We "wrapped" up the day by opening cards and gifts from loved ones.  For some reason we have a tradition of tearing the wrapping paper into little tiny pieces and having a confetti party.  It must have been dad's brain child.  :) However, dad always does the coolest things and we enjoyed our confetti party over and over again.

Comments

  1. I love the flower idea for "dirt"! I will have to remember that for the future.

    Blessings,
    Tammy ~@~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too cute, fun and fabulous. Good job! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I always enjoy hearing from you. ~Kim