My Husband Was Right

I am currently enduring a painting project.  I say enduring, because it has been a long road of indecision and paint color choices that have gone awry.

I decided that our living room, which we are slowly transforming into the den, needed some fresh paint.  This is due to the fact that the color on the wall very closely matched the color of the stain we chose for the bookcase we installed.  If memory serves me, the paint color was called Tribal Pottery.  Is was a nice warm, rich, red/brown.  After the bookcase was installed, there wasn't enough contrast between the bookcase and the wall color.  So, the adventure began.  Or should I say the long, arduous journey began.

First, in my longing for change, I chose a beautiful sunny yellow called Lantern Light.  After applying the first coat to all the walls, I needed my sunglasses.  It was just too bright and leaned just too far into green for my taste and my home, which is filled with earthy browns and greens.


So, my husband and I went back to the drawing board and pulled out other color swatches that spoke to us.  After much hemming, hawing and somewhat heated debates, we settled on a pleasant shaded green which boasted the name Restful.  After our wasted painting time with the yellow and all the somewhat heated debates that followed, I think we chose the color more for the name than an instinctual feeling of rightness.


Restful was still too perky for that room (the photo does not show it's true color).  And so, we're on to round three.  I should say four, because we did get a sample of a color called Road Runner.  And yes, it did look rather comical on the wall so we immediately scrapped that.

Patrick is at work right now and in his trunk is another paint sample which he will be taking in for yet another gallon of paint.  This time we've chosen to go back to basics and paint the walls the original color they were when we moved in!!  Patrick originally wanted to do just that.  I, on the other hand, did not.  Our painting journey will be at an end soon and we will enjoy a nice neutral Tortilla on the walls.  Don't tell him I said so, but my husband was right.

Comments