Five Minute Friday: Long

long1 [lawng, long]
 
I took a long journey across the Atlantic ocean to Burkina Faso, Africa.  All told, there and back I traveled over 60 hours.

I was there for 10 days and I'll never be the same again.  My heart was filled.  My cup overflows.  The people are warm and welcoming.  The climate is hot and not so welcoming.

I heard roosters crowing, goats bleating, airplanes overhead, horns honking, motorbikes zooming, a language foreign to my ears and birds calling.

I smelled wood smoke and spice.  The odors of animals and the perspiration of humans.  The aroma of southern cooking in Africa as well as French cuisine and native foods.

I touched little children's faces and held babies in my arms.  I hugged the women and shook hands with the men.  I felt the heat rolling across the dry ground and the welcome relief of a brief shower.  My feet were always dusted with red dirt and water never felt so good upon my lips.

I saw fisherman in boats and standing waist deep with nets at the ready.  Women carrying items upon their heads with babies on their backs.  Vibrant colors of a fruit stand and the sacrifice of animals during Tabaski.

I tasted frog legs, pizza, Tô, peanut sauce, taco bake, deep fried eggplant and Mango juice just to name a few.

I gave and received love.  I long to go back.

Five Minute Friday is a wild and wonderful flash mob of words.  Five minutes on one prompt. No overthinking or editing.  Please visit Kate Motaung and link up with Five Minute Friday to see more.




Comments

  1. Dear Kim, Wonderful words about your time in Africa. And I love how you used the word "long." You long to go back. Beautiful. A friend from FMF.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! that was along journey. But it seems long on memories for sure. Thanks for sharing. A FMF friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an incredible experience! Frog legs? I'm not sure I could have done that...

    Visiting from fmf today!

    http://5heartsonefamily.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh, God used your long journey to fill your heart with distinct experiences that will linger in your memory for a long time :-) Sounds like a good thing to me! So glad you are back safe and sound, Kim!

    Blessings,
    Tammy ~@~

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I always enjoy hearing from you. ~Kim