The Game Plan

When the weather starts to cool and the leaves change colors and drop to the ground, my husband and I have a disagreement on what the season is called.  I say autumn, he says football season.

As you can imagine, there are a lot of leaves to rake in autumn and a lot of football to watch during football season.

This past Sunday, while watching a football game or two, my active three year old grabbed his football and enlisted dad's participation in an indoor game of football.  Sitting on the sidelines I cheered as Mason improved his eye-hand coordination and strengthened his throwing arm.

My attention wandered at the umpteenth throw and my thoughts focused on how quickly Mason imitates the activities or behaviors he sees around him.  I find that three year olds are very good at copying.  The good and the bad.

This presents a unique parenting challenge.  If copying is the action, then I must consider that everything I watch, read, listen to and the words from my mouth, must be worthy of being copied.

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. (Philippians 4:8, ESV)

If I can execute this game plan, then at the end of the fourth quarter I will be able to do a victory dance after the game winning touchdown!  And, if I'm clever enough, I'll even convince Mason that raking is a game we play in autumn when we're not watching football.

Comments

  1. Every time I look at this picture of Mason I just want to reach right through the monitor screen and give him a hug! What a CUTIE!

    I love the parallel you drew in today's post. Love how you correlated it with Scripture as well...not just "thoughts" (like I often do). I am so glad to have met you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I always enjoy hearing from you. ~Kim