Treat Yourself to Some Chores

When our kids are young, we strive to put food on the table, have clean clothes folded and put away for them to wear and a love-filled safe space they can enjoy.  This may leave little to no time for us to pamper ourselves.

As I was washing dishes yet again, I had the thought that I would treat myself to a manicure afterwards since the warm soapy water will soften my cuticles and make them easier to push back. (Sitting in a clean kitchen, doing my nails!  What could be better?)  Then my mind raced on thinking about all the chores I could treat myself to.  Yes, I just said that.


Do you want an inexpensive manicure?  Do some dishes.  How about a little soak in the tub?  Pick a time when the kids are napping, pop in the bathroom and give the tub a quick scrubbing.  When it's clean, fill it with water and bubble bath and enjoy.  Even 15 minutes can do wonders for a weary body.  Do you have a book you've been wanting to 'read'?  Why not fold some laundry while listening to an audio book.  You know that exercise you'd like but just can't seem to find the time for?  Vacuum!

Honestly, it's all about attitude for me.  Even if I don't make time for the manicure or the soak in the tub, the endless bending down to pick up toys can be a labor of love and a good time to get in a quick set of sit-ups or stretches.  I can now look at cleaning the house as 'me' time. :)

Comments