Parenting Insanity

Recently I was searching creative parenting ideas.  A few days later this popped up on Pinterest.


I chuckled out loud. This about sums it up for me and my parenting experiences over the last year or so. To say it's been a rough ride is an understatement. I am battered and bruised and still have sore muscles from the journey. Parenting is not for the faint of heart.

I wish I could tell you that I see a silver lining, but I am still surrounded by a thick fog. I am in the thick of parenting a child with anxieties I don't understand. I have a high school graduate that is unsure of his future and doesn't seem to be motivated to take a step in any direction. I am trying to get to the heart of an argumentative child and am only finding myself wanting to argue too. And the list goes on. I feel powerless and underwater and near to tears at any given moment. I have been crying out to God for help for so long my voice is hoarse.

And then, I had a brief conversation with a friend. She knows a mom who is struggling with some of the same things. A high school grad with no direction and no idea how to steer them in the right direction. I hear that she is weary and clueless and my heart leaps for a brief moment. Not because I dance at her misery, but because I understand her situation and realize I am not alone.

I think that is the enemy's greatest strategy. To isolate me and whisper lies that I'm alone in this. Whispering to this battered soul that every other child has it together. That every parent knows exactly how to motivate and cheer on their children toward a successful future. Whispering that the fears and anxieties won't go away and cannot be conquered. That I'm not a great parent. Get behind me Satan!

It has been said that God does not call the equipped, He equips the called. How true is that! I was not equipped for this season of life. But I do have my bible and I can stand on the word of truth. Proverbs 22:6 states, 'Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.'

And for my weary soul, 'And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.' ~ Galatians 6:9

Dear Lord,  Please continue to equip me for that which you have called me to do.  Give me your portion of patience and compassion.  Infuse your love into every motivation.  Give me blinders to focus only on you and not compare my children or my situation to that of the world.  I trust you to write this chapter of my story and of their story.  Shelter me under your wings and give me your strength and endurance for joy in the journey and for your glory.  In Jesus name, Amen

Comments