Where Does My Hope Come From?

I have two devotionals that I read in the morning.  Both written on different topics and yet today the message was the same in both.  Hope.  Both books asked the question: What do you place your hope in?  The question is followed by the statement: Whatever it is will be your guide in life.  I had to ponder that for a minute.  Wherever I place my hope, that will be my guide in life.


Hmmm, I often say, "I hope..... "  I hope you do well on that test.  I hope your day goes well.  I hope you get that job.  I hope you find what you are looking for.  I hope you feel better.  I hope my son will get through this season of fear and anxiety.  I hope I lose some weight.  I hope my daughter will make good friends.  I hope we win the softball game.  The list goes on and on.  But what if what I hope for doesn't happen?

Then what?  What is my response if that job goes to someone else?  If I don't lose weight?  We lose the softball game?  The illness lingers or worsens?  The fear and anxiety get worse?  Am I letting these situations guide the decisions I make or my attitude?  Am I a puppet to my circumstance?  I want a deep, steadfast hope that doesn't get stirred or shaken in the small moments and gives me endurance and perseverance in the big moments.  

Part of a scripture pops into my head.  "I lift up my eyes to the hills.  From where does my help come?  My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth." ~Psalm 121:1-2
My help comes from the Lord.  And ultimately my hope.

The Creator of heaven and earth is my help, that is where my hope is.  Because He is the beginning and the end.  “I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says the Lord God, “who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.” ~Revelation 1:8

Hope is a person who will never leave me, nor forsake me.  (Hebrews 13:5) Never!

Jesus said, ".... And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” ~Matthew 28:20  Always!  That is steadfast.

One of my favorite scripture to rely upon is Deuteronomy 31:6,  "Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the Lord your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you.”

I place my hope in Jesus.

Comments