Five Minute Friday: Convenient

convenient
convenient 
adjective // [kuhn-veen-yuhnt]

:suitable or agreeable to the needs or purpose; well-suited with respect to facility or ease in use; favorable, easy, or comfortable for use.
:at hand; easily accessible. 

For the past 24 days (but who's counting) I've been following the Whole30 food program.  One of my takeaways from the experience is that eating whole foods is not easy or convenient.  It takes intention and resolve.  

Have you ever looked at the label of the diced tomatoes you have in the cabinet?  Chances are there is sugar added.  What?!  That's what I said!  Part of the Whole30 is refined sugar elimination.  That means no sugar unless it occurs naturally in fruit.  Guess what?  Your mayonnaise probably has sugar.  Mine did.  So, I have been making my own these past 24 days.  Not as convenient as pulling a pre-made jar out of the fridge.  

Whole30 is teaching me a number of things.  One of which, I did not (do not) go through life with a large quantity of intention or resolve.  I'll eat foods with added sugar because it's convenient.  I'll throw clothes in the dryer instead of hanging them out to dry (which I love) because it's convenient.  I'll stop at this store with the higher prices because it's convenient.  I'll even read a five minute devo instead of spending good quality time with my bible, because it's convenient.

Changing my pattern of convenience has not been (will not be) easy, but it has been (will be) worth it.  I may never go back to store bought mayo again! Yum.

Five Minute Friday is a wild and wonderful flash mob of words. Five minutes on one prompt. No over-thinking or editing. Please visit Kate Motaung and link up with Five Minute Friday to see more.

Comments

  1. YES! Being intentional is NOT convenient... Love this post. and sugar IS in everything... (and hold up- are you really a brain surgeon?!?!? If so, can we chat?) rainydayinmay@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's tempting to seek the easy and convenient option but it's true, it's not always the best. Visiting from FMF #7.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this. Changing the pattern of convenience is usually well worth the pain.

    To change a well-grooved pattern
    can be so very hard,
    like flying off to Saturn
    in a rocket from my backyard.
    Ev'ry step is unfamiliar,
    and boots slip on the stone
    that leads us from the concilliar
    comforts of convenience's home.
    But I think the toil is worth it,
    building sinewy muscle
    that lets us run, and not sit
    in life's dull meaningless bustle.
    We can take up wondrous things
    that let us fly on Eagles' Wings.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I always enjoy hearing from you. ~Kim