Peace Doesn't Come Alone

peace [pees] Show IPA noun, interjection, verb, peaced, peac⋅ing.
6. freedom of the mind from annoyance, distraction, anxiety, an obsession, etc.; tranquillity; serenity.
(Dictionary.com)

My journal word for the year is peace. I chose peace for two reasons.

1. It was on my short list

2. Both my mother and dear friend Jess thought I should choose peace.

To tell you the truth, I didn't want to choose peace. Even after I wrote it down, I sat and stared and thought, "Peace, I don't need peace. I'm a pretty peaceful person."

Dictionary.com gives a number of definitions for the word peace. 1. the normal, non-warring condition of a nation... 3. a state of mutual harmony between people or groups, esp. in personal relations: Try to live in peace with your neighbors. 6. freedom of the mind from annoyance, distraction, anxiety, an obsession, etc.; tranquillity; serenity.

I'm finding that for me, peace doesn't come alone. It comes when I trust God. Peace comes when I am still. It comes when I focus on listening to the Lord. Peace comes when I have faith. Peace comes when I am obedient. Peace comes when I let go of anxiety, distraction, worry. I need to let God hold the umbrella.

I've already posted the fact that a recurring theme in this season of my life is to let go. The Lord keeps whispering to me to let go of the umbrella. To have the freedom of the mind from annoyance, distraction and anxiety by letting go and trusting him. I didn't realize until writing this post, that God was working to bring me peace all this time.

"Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts" (Col. 3:15).



Comments